Thursday, October 26, 2006

freedom of speech

I am a christian on my identity card and I guess I share some beliefs of that religion, that I suppose are just the highlights of a healthy society. Religion works as a great legal system that protects civilians. Dont steal, dont rape, dont cheat. always though with the threat of being punished by being thrown to hell, of course.

Anyway that is not my point. Christianity is agreat religion. Because in the western countries it does not really mess with our daily life. We are free to wear what we want, do as we please, speak our own minds. And that indeed is a great freedom. We take it for granmted and we demand for even more freedom.

But lately there is something changing in our western societies that if we dont pay close attention to, in a few decades might create a whole new scenery for western democracies. And this is islam.

I an watching around the western world islamists protesting against people who express their opinion about their prophet or their actions. I was just watching an islamist cleric man in Australia that in a public speech said it is not the rapists fault, since woman dress in a provoking manner. In his own words "If the meat is free in the open then the cat will attack".

And so many examples. In opera, the pope, in the newspapers, - which by the way are the ultimate expression of free speech, at least some of them - and it makes me wonder. In how much danger are we?

How long before we realise that we are "cooking" for our selves a very dangerous dish.

I dont know what has to be done, but we certainly need to defend these freedoms and I am not sure that this is happening.

We are taking a moderate stand against extreme fanatics whose views of the world are so alien to ours. And whose actions are far far louder than ours. And that can only lead to their victory. Which would mean loss of our liberties.

Which of course has been a form of society that humans have seen before, loss of freedom of speech that is, suffered a great deal and suffered even more to gain those freedom.

What scares me is that history goes round and round and repeats itsself. I dont want to reach the end of my life in a scared islamic society.

SO christians of the world do have children. It is the only weapon of western societies who are going to be overwhelmed by the growth of the islamic families and the decrease of christian ones.

Think about it.

3 comments:

jdbauer said...

I read about Al Hilali's comments. Very scary.I satirized him a bit in one of my posts. http://collective-heartburn.blogspot.com/2006/11/time-quotes-plus-my-2-cents-ii.html
Just when we thought we were out of the "oppression" woods with the Christian crusades a few hundred years ago. Now creeps up a mass market of oppression. What to do? The planet is getting too small.

jdbauer said...

Just to clarify: That wasn't a dig into Christianity. I mean there are still other forms of dogma with that religion, but I was just comparing Christianity of a few hundred years ago to some forms of Islam today.

Alannah said...

The Duggars are all over your "Christian Copulation" plan.

http://www.jimbob.info/index.htm